Thursday, January 14, 2016

So, what's a Whole 30, anyway? Day 11

I realized after I posted the other day that I didn't really properly explain what a Whole 30 is or credit it's creators. The Whole 30 program is a 30-day nutritional program based on unprocessed or minimally processed foods and excluding foods that can commonly impact your health. It's a fairly strict version of the "paleo" style of eating that we normally follow. The idea is that eliminating these foods from your diet for a period of time and reintroducing them in a controlled way can help you better understand your body's reaction to them. There is a ton more information on the website linked above.

So, what does one avoid on a Whole 30, and how is that different from my normal way of eating? Here goes:
  • Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. 
I don't each much sugar to begin with-- mostly in the form of dark chocolate (I like the 85% stuff), about a bar a week. I had stepped up my sugar intake over the holidays with all the tempting treats, but this one isn't too difficult for me to give up.
  • Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. 
E and I generally keep to moderate intake on the weekends, a few glasses of wine or the equivalent. But, I will say I look forward to the ritual of uncorking a bottle at the end of a long week. The Whole 30 encourages me to find other ways to unwind and reward myself.
  • Do not eat grains. 
I have been avoiding gluten for a few years now, but do eat rice, corn, and other gluten-free grain products on occasion. Again, over the holidays, this was probably more common than I'd like to admit. Now that gluten-free treats are widely available, I can and ought to try harder to limit them to infrequent indulgences rather than a weekly treat (chocolate chip cookie at Seward Co-op, I'm looking at you!).
  • Do not eat legumes. 
Even though I'm a former vegetarian, legumes have not been a big part of my diet in a long time. At most, I have an occasional scoop of hummus or some black beans on a stuffed arepa. So, it's not too hard to give them up for a month.
  • Do not eat dairy. 
One word for you: cheese. I do love this stuff. As a long-time paleo/primal enthusiast, I regularly eat dairy, but keep it to the high fat stuff (butter, cheese, cream). The fact that E and I had a weekly cheese plate dinner night should tell you how I love dairy. There is lactose intolerance in my family, but I have luckily avoided the worst symptoms. I have noticed that it affects my skin, so I'm willing to give it up for 30 days. I'm not expecting this to be a permanent change, but, as with grains, I should probably reduce how often I enjoy these foods. Ghee is allowed on the Whole 30, so I get a bit of a butter fix that way.
  • Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. 
Not too hard for me-- just more intense label reading than usual.
  • Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. 
Also not a problem. I don't miss sweets much on this plan.
So, there we have it! Most of the Whole 30 requirements are not a far cry from my normal eating habits. Mainly, I miss chocolate, wine, and cheese. Anything is doable for 30 days, however, and I know I can enjoy these items again in a few short weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment