Friday, December 12, 2014

Catching up

This week has gone by in a blur-- things at work are going fast and furious, and when I get home, I just put on my "lounging clothes" (who are we kidding, they're pajamas), eat a little dinner, and watch some Portlandia on Netflix.

Last night was the annual holiday party for my professional organization, which works to advance women in my industry. I had bought my ticket a month ago, and very much needed a glass of wine by then, so I went and had a great time. I used to be very active in the group and served on the board for several years, but I haven't had as much time to be involved lately. It was lovely to catch up with old friends and marvel over how the organization has grown and strengthened over time. I don't think of myself as an outspoken recruiter, but I realized on my way home that at least 3 current and past board members, all former interns at my office, are involved (at least in part) due to my encouragement.

Tonight, I've had some delightful quiet time to recharge. E is out with friends, and left me home with the dog and half a pint of ice cream, among other goodies. Having watched two strange movies (The One I Love and Happy Christmas), my plan now is to read in bed a bit (I picked up the holiday issue of Lucky Peach) and get a good night's sleep.

Music Advent, Day 12 (1992)
It's hard to believe I didn't have a Walkman until 1992, but it must be true. This marvelous electronic device came into my life for my birthday that year, and the cassette I received along with it was En Vogue's Funky Divas. Three of the singles from that album made it onto the Billboard Top 100: "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)", "Giving Him Something He Can Feel", and "Free Your Mind".

No comments:

Post a Comment