Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Music Advent

Some of my twitter and Holidailies pals are doing a #musicadvent meme. I haven't found an official-looking set of rules, but I gather I was supposed to post a song from the year of my birth yesterday, from the next year today, and so on. I got a late start, so today you get a twofer.

I scrolled down the Billboard top 100 songs of the year list for 1980, looking for favorites or at least old familiars. Luckily for me (and you), Blondie's Call Me is at the top of the list. Not too shabby, really!

I could have continued with Blondie in 1981, as they seem to have been on quite a roll then. In fact, 1981 had some pretty good songs in general. I'm going to hearken back to my choir nerd roots with a selection from Manhattan Transfer: The Boy from New York City. Manhattan Transfer was THE group to look up to when I joined jazz choir in high school, and frankly I'm surprised that a vocal jazz group cracked the (top half of the) top 100 list.

It's a good thing I had music advent in my back pocket for this post, because not much else really happened today. Work was tiring, since I'm still sick (though on the mend). It's good to be back home in my pj's with a pot of chili simmering on the stove.

Speaking of being sick, are sinuses connected to attention span? Because I keep wandering away from this entry before finishing it. I had better quit while I'm ahead. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment