Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Things I'm Not Writing About

I really have no idea how I used to keep up a near-daily online journal (ahem... blog). I've honestly been struggling this month to find topics to write about. In the old days, I used to share a lot about amusing work anecdotes and also talk about friendships and family relationships. These days, my work is much more engrossing, but I certainly don't want to rehash it at the end of the day, and not much of it would be appropriate (never mind interesting) to share. This blog is not nearly as well-hidden as my earlier venues and my boundaries are much better developed than they used to be, so family & friends are mostly out as subjects, too.

The Holidailies prompt from yesterday asked: Today is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day. What's the very best chocolate-covered thing you've ever had (or alternatively, what's the worst)? Now, this is a topic I can work with!

This year I participated in a friend's candy and cookie making party. Each year, she gets about half a dozen people together to make an assortment of holiday goodies; everyone chips in and everyone brings a batch home. The candy that amazed me the most was sponge candy. I had tasted some from a previous year and marveled at the light, crunchy texture and sweet/salty taste. Amazingly, the only ingredients are sugar and corn syrup, with the sponge effect accomplished through a timely addition of vinegar and baking soda. Once the candy has hardened and been broken up, the big pieces are dredged in melted chocolate and allowed to cool. The rich chocolate offsets the slight bitterness from the baking soda. And lo, sponge candy is therefore the best chocolate-covered thing I've ever had, at least in recent memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment