Thursday, December 18, 2014

What Will I Do?

I think I've mentioned here that E started a new job this month, one that will require traveling about 25% of the time. She and others keep inquiring what on earth I will possibly do while she is gone. I have a few ideas to keep myself out of trouble:


  • Work, sleep, eat. That is, keep myself alive and productive as normal. In the eating arena, I will probably have to cook less while she is away, because leftovers will go twice as far. I'm going to try to freeze some stuff so that I have easy meals ready to go.
  • Play the piano. I honestly can't remember the last time I did this regularly. In addition to being short on time, I am bizarrely self-conscious about other people hearing me practice. When she is away, I will be able to plunk around with no fear, at least until open-window season.
  • Watch movies. Probably half or more of our Netflix queue includes esoteric movies not to E's taste, from Bollywood to documentaries to obscure indie flicks. I'm sure I can manage to knock a few off the list.
  • See friends. I'm not the greatest about making plans to hang out with friends one-on-one. Even though I know I could do so anytime, I never seem to think of it until E is going out of town. Dinner or coffee with a friend complements the alone time nicely.
  • Get away. One of the facts of life about me working in the public sector and E working in the private sector is that I have more vacation time than she does, by far. I usually feel guilty about taking time off when she is working, but if she is out of town, I might as well use the time to visit family or take a break. I'm already daydreaming about a wintertime North Shore getaway, in which I will sit by a fireplace and stare at Lake Superior for a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment