Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Year, New Projects

I'm not making any of the traditional New Year's resolutions this year-- I'm generally happy with my eating and exercise habits. Still, I want to keep things fresh by taking on a few new challenges in 2013.

Try snowboarding once. I've never tried any winter sports involving hills. I've cross-country skied a few times, and E and I have snowshoes that we break out a few times a year. I'm not sure what exactly appeals to me about snowboarding, but it seems potentially fun. Several of the ski hills around here offer beginner packages that include a lesson and equipment rental along with the lift pass. It seems like the perfect thing to try on a cabin-feverish weekend.

Make kombucha. Until recently, I resisted even trying this stuff. The big reason is cost: At $4 a bottle, I figured it was a habit I didn't need to pick up. Then, on a whim, I picked up a bottle at the co-op as a treat. Lo and behold, it was delicious! I tend to love the tartness of fermented foods (sometimes I eat sauerkraut with my eggs at breakfast) and I know they are good for me. Many of the bloggers I follow have picked up the kombucha habit and are making it themselves. I'm going to give it a try, starting with this technique. I think the only problem will be finding a warm enough place in my house!

Try rock climbing once. As with snowboarding, this would get me out of my physical comfort zone. We have an outstanding indoor rock climbing gym nearby, so I know I could get good instruction there. I've heard that the activity can be rather cerebral-- it's not just about speed or strength, but about plotting your course up the wall. This kind of "thinky" activity sounds fun to me.

Read poetry. I read poetry with some regularity in high school and college, but am completely out of the habit now. I think it would be good for me to challenge my prose-reading brain with something a little different. I have no idea where to start, so if you have some recommendations, please leave them in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment