Saturday, December 15, 2012

Saturdalia

So, I skipped a day yesterday. I really couldn't think of anything to say about the horrible events in Connecticut that others haven't already said better. Coincidentally, we had our 3rd-grade niece come and stay the night with us last night. She came a little later than originally planned, because her mom (E's sister) wanted to see her when she got home from work. I totally understand.

Speaking of that visit, it was pretty great. Now that she is older and able to articulate her thoughts a little better, it is more fun just to chat with her and hear how she is experiencing life. For instance, she recently reached the mark where she no longer needs a booster seat in the car. She said she misses it a little, but is also happy she doesn't have to use it anymore. Don't we all feel that ambivalence when we reach certain milestones in life? Glad, but a little wistful, too? We also watched Elf, which, of course, is an amazing movie any way you slice it. This morning, we took her out to breakfast at our new favorite local-ish joint, Colossal Cafe.

We are going to a holiday party later, but my afternoon is unexpectedly free! I'm going to spend it perfecting my holiday Pandora station, making macaroons, and getting a start on wrapping presents. Oh yes, and keeping the cats from knocking over the Christmas tree. Every time I enter the room, the tree skirt is akimbo in some new way. Earlier today, one of them managed to unplug the lights. Considering that they normally spend 99% of their day sleeping, I'm not sure where this energy is coming from. I hope the tree can survive the abuse for another few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment