Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Resolutions

I know. It's still a bit early for New Year's resolutions. This year, I've sort of accidentally made a few December resolutions. I realized earlier today that they actually fit together quite nicely! To wit:

  • I want to go to the gym 12 times in December. My health insurance refunds part of my monthly dues if I hit this somewhat arbitrary mark. Lately I've fallen in a comfortable routine of going to Pilates class twice a week, and doing some walking (mainly as part of my commute) most days. You'll note that, barring a freak 6-week month, this does not add up to 12 visits a month. I'm shooting for 12 in December for two reasons: First of all, boosting my workout routine will help me to enjoy those holiday treats (remember the eggnog?) with out feeling like I'm going too far off track. Second, it will force me to mix things up and try new workouts. Tonight, E and I did a joint session with the personal trainer she works with. Later this week, I think I'll break out my dormant yoga muscles. 
  • I want to get together with my friends. As an introvert, it is far too easy for me to slip into "hunker down" mode on the weekends. Running a few errands, cooking a nice meal, and enjoying a movie on the couch with E are often the extent of my ambitions. All too frequently, the seasons change and I realize that I haven't seen so-and-so since it was flip-flop weather. A lot of folks are planning parties and other various outings and events this month. All this introvert has to do is say yes, and show up! 
  • I want to do things that help me appreciate the season. I'm not even faintly religious, but I've always enjoyed the Christmas season. I love having some festivities to lighten up a dark time of year. Maybe I absorbed some spirit from my years of choral singing; Christmas music is some of the most beautiful in the canon. When I was a kid, the month seemed to drag on and on, the big day always tantalizingly out of reach. As an adult, it's all too easy to let the season rush by in a blur, piling holiday shopping on top of our regular busy schedule. This year, I'm making a point to do things, Christmassy or not, that help me slow down and enjoy myself. Getting a Christmas tree, going to movies, buying a few holiday albums-- it's all fair game as long as it's festive and maybe a little indulgent.
The common thread is that all of these resolutions push me a bit out of my regular routines and comfort zones. It might seem counterintuitive to deliberately go out of kilter during what can be a stressful time of year, but I am hoping that these small changes will help me to travel more mindfully through the month. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some great resolutions, and I for one completely support the idea of starting early (in fact, I blogged recently about exactly that, at least in terms of the healthy lifestyle type of resolutions.

    I can identify with your second resolution.

    And your third one reminds me of what might be, to my mind, the best thing that religions do (let me hasten to add that I am--at best--faintly religious). But the thing that I think we not-so-religious can take from it is that it offers a cycle that helps us connect with the things that are important to us. Going along in our daily lives, it's easy to end up on autopilot and not really be who we want to be. Christmas can connect us with other people, as well as to a festive spirit and some indulgence. :) And I'm with you--years of choral singing can't help but give Christmas a bit of a special place.

    Good luck with your intentions for December!

    ReplyDelete