Monday, December 10, 2012

Snow and Salmon

Snow on a Sunday? It's magical, beautiful, forces you to slow down and yield to the forces of nature, etc, etc. A post-snowstorm Monday? Kind of a huge pain in the butt.

I planned ahead last night and set the alarm a little bit earlier. Our normal commute involves E dropping me off at the stop for an express bus, but she had planned to work at home this morning. Consequently, I needed to leave a bit earlier to take the slower local bus. On days like this, the local is better, anyway. It may move slowly, but at least it moves, whereas the express route is toast when the freeway clogs up.

I made it to work just fine, and only a smidge late. The commute home was hairier; I took the local again, but it took about half again as much time as normal. I considered jumping off partway home to pick up my share from the candy-making party, but was worried about getting home in time to let Reba the dog out. She has remarkable abilities to hold it, but I'd rather not tempt fate.

You're probably wondering where the "salmon" part of the title comes in. Right about now! When I made up our weekly menu on Saturday, I made a point to put some fish in the rotation. As a landlocked Midwesterner, it's not usually one of my go-to meals. I love the stuff, but it just doesn't always register. On top of that, it doesn't make great leftovers. I hate to stink up the lunchroom at work by nuking fish. But, since we still have leftover minis from yesterday to eat tomorrow, I only need to make enough salmon for tonight's dinner. I think I'll season it and cook it in butter on the stovetop-- simple and delicious. I'll make buttery cauliflower mash and saute some carrots with cumin seeds to round out the meal. E's going to pick up the candy haul, so I plan to end the day with something sweet. I believe I heard something about nutella fudge...

No comments:

Post a Comment