Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Potlucky

I thought the snow made yesterday's commute bad. I was wrong. This afternoon's trip took slow to a whole new level. How slow? I caught a bus early enough to get to the gym 35 minutes before my Pilates class was supposed to start. Traffic was so backed up on the route that I didn't get to that intersection until 35 minutes AFTER the class started. Like almost everyone else on the bus (except the one sleeping guy), I was texting with my loved one about my plight, and she was kind enough to pick me up so I didn't have to endure the last 2-mile stretch home. We had to go grocery shopping, anyhow, to get ingredients for potluck contributions-- mine tomorrow, and hers on Thursday.

Potlucks have been a bit tricky since going paleo. The last one fell during our Whole30, which was, for the record, about the worst timing ever. I made a giant vat of carnitas, and mostly ate that and raw veggies. I'm glad my eating choices are a bit more flexible now, so I won't have to interrogate my co-workers about their choice in cooking oils this time around. Nonetheless, I'm sticking to my strategy of making a main dish. That way, I have something substantial to eat and can stick to small tastes of other items that appear to be fairly compliant.

I wanted to make something that doesn't need to be served warm. Hauling the crockpot on the bus, like I did for the carnitas, is not something I want to undertake again. I decided to prepare my summer pot-luck go-to item: curried chicken salad. I bought a plain rotisserie chicken at Whole Foods, which sped up the preparation considerably. All I did was chop the chicken, dice 3 stalks of celery, and throw in some dried currants. The whole thing is dressed with plain yogurt mixed with curry powder and salt. Easy-peasy! I originally intended to use homemade mayo instead of yogurt, but considering how my evening went, convenience won out. I'm using the time I saved not making mayo to drink a nice glass of wine.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand. We have a potluck that we go to every month, and it's always a lot of desserts with very few main dishes--none of which really fit our definitions of healthy eating, so at least whenever we don't forget about the potluck until it's too late, we've started making a main dish so that we can control what goes in, we can be sure that there's something we'll want to eat, and everyone else appreciates that there's actually a main dish to be had. But keeping it--or getting it--warm is often a challenge, because we have an hour drive to get there and then it's another hour before the potluck starts. Your chicken salad might be the way for us to go next time.

    ReplyDelete