Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Transitions

For the past five years, I've served on the board of my professional association. First as scholarships chair (twice), then as Vice-President, President, and, for the last year, Past President. My last board meeting was tonight. Well, technically, it was about 30 minutes of board meeting in a bar before our holiday happy hour. Nonetheless, it marks a closure; I've been involved for virtually all of my professional life (in my current field, anyhow). I've planned events, raised money, recruited new board members, awarded scholarships, and gotten comfortable with public speaking. There have been some unbelievably frustrating moments as well as moments that have given me great pride in what we do. I've gotten to know a lot of wonderful people who I hope will be my colleagues and friends for years to come.

I've categorized my involvement with this group as "volunteer time" in my mental accounting. With the end of this commitment, I have some time and energy freed up to try something new! I'm thinking of doing something more hands-on and direct-service oriented. If I find an organization that's a good fit, I could see pursuing a board position again eventually, but for the moment I'd rather be one of many helping hands than one of the few directing all those hands. The first step? Signing up for a volunteer orientation at one of the non-profits I've been following. I'm looking forward to volunteering in a new way in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment